Family Photos – What should you wear?
Deciding on what to wear for your family photos can be a challenging task. These photos will be hanging on your wall for years to come. You will want to cherish these special photos and share them with all your friends and loved ones. Some have found this quite overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be. Double Vision Photography has put together some simple tips and advice for what to keep in mind before your next photo session.
So you’ve finally got all the family together, the kids are off from school and you have a date that suits everyone. With the special day getting closer you’ve been keeping a close eye on the weather and deciding what to wear.
The day has arrived and well, as it always happens in life, you are not prepared and don’t know what to wear. Double Vision Photographers often get last minute calls the morning of a photo-shoot with regard to what a family should wear.
We still get the clichéd family that comes in with white shirts and jeans. Now there is nothing wrong with this as you will always get clean and good photos, however, they always end up looking the same.
Keep these in mind
1. Try pick a few different colours that will all fit into a similar colour scheme. Make sure that the clothing you choose works with these colours.
2. Avoid patterns if possible. Patterns can be very distracting in photos and often quite off-putting. If someone really wants to wear something with a pattern make sure that no more than one person is doing so.
3. If you have young kids, the chances are they will have a shirt with some sort of cartoon character. This is a big NO. Characters can be even more distracting than patterns and will take away from the final photo.
4. Try to avoid one colour. Avoid wearing all white or black. Unless we have pre-arranged for this, wearing all of one colour will result in your clothing losing detail in the images.
a. Now, we can make this work, but it is more post-production work.
5. Try wear a certain style. Find items that coordinate and fit well together.
6. Bring texture into your outfit. Textures will add lots of character to the person and look great in photos. Adding extra accessories, like belts and jewelry can help with this.
Most families will come to us with an idea already of what they are looking for. More families are opting for our location shoots these days. Which is great! Outdoors is always good fun. Being outside does add extra challenges compared to the studio.
Consider your location before choosing an outfit. If we are shooting in an area with lots of greenery, then its best to avoid greens and browns. Wearing these colours will only help you blend into the background and become a floating head. We don’t want this. Always think contrast. Contrast is your friend, and will really help you separate yourself from the background.
We also recommend that you try on an outfit before the day. Consider your skin tone. Before the day, put on your clothing and stand in front of a mirror, in natural light if possible. Check and see if your clothing reflects any colours onto your skin. Often red clothing can slightly change your complexion. Now you may not notice this straight away, but you will see it in the photos. Try chose an outfit that works for your complexion and features. Maybe a certain green shirt makes your eyes pop.
One of the most important things to do is to PLAN AHEAD. As we have mentioned many times, decide on your clothing beforehand and have it ready for the day. Kids grow fast. Make sure that that pretty dress you want your daughter to wear fits and isn’t too small or awkward fitting. Make sure that your clothes are clean and stain free. You don’t want to get caught in a panic on the morning of a shoot to find out that little Johnny has spilled apple juice all over his new shirt.
We at Double Vision Photography will always discuss with our clients when booking the shoot on what to wear. Both we and our clients will be on the same page for where will be shooting and how clothing choice will affect your final images. More than often we will phone you the day before to confirm what you are wearing and help remove any last minutes doubts.
If you need any more advise or have any questions, check our website for some sample photos or give us a call.